~ Setting things on fire. Mostly words ~

~ Often speaking in tongues ~

~ to Each Other ~


Thursday 7 March 2013

A Life Drawing's Lesson in Life


You showed me a picture of someone with a huge scar and asked me if I felt any differently about you - knowing that you have such scars.

The short answer is of course, no.
Your question I think, elicited a more in depth response.

I recently wrote about my love of women to you. I love women of all shapes, sizes, colours and races. I love people. I’m as fascinated by them as you are.

And then I was reminded of my old art teacher at college. He was a huge influence on me. I used to socialize with him and he taught me an awful lot about the human race. He showed me symbolism in art and how it was a whole language that you had to learn. He loved people. He thought the human form was the most beautiful thing ever created. The female form in particular.


He used to take our life drawing classes. Once a week, we would all huddle into the room with the overhead heater in the middle. In would walk the model, often a different person every week. I distinctly remember him describing a particular girl who was coming in. “She has the most fantastic apple shaped arse…” he enthused, whilst excitedly chewing on gum. “Ah, she’s knockout.”

To many he would appear a bit of a dirty old man. But I genuinely knew that he had studied the human body all his life. He strove to be able to draw or paint it successfully. But he knew it was nigh impossible, because you were trying to replicate perfection.

He practiced and practiced and practiced draughtsmanship. And he was our teacher. In his opinion, very few ever mastered this art.

He was never happy with our results, or his. He would tear up paper in front of you and just say, “Start again”. And you did. And then he’d tear it up again. Gradually you improved, but you improved the hard way.

So there we all were, behind our easels waiting for the model with the ‘appley arse’ to enter and disrobe.

She took our breath away when she entered the room. She was a middle-aged woman with spina bifida.

In that moment, he proved that he was a great teacher. Not just of art, but of life. In not choosing a traditional ‘model of perfection’ he was telling us that it didn’t matter one bit that she was disabled, or disfigured. She was just as beautiful as the next person. We were all equal. It also taught us a valuable lesson about bravery. Her bravery, in doing the job she did – for probably not much money.



I will never forget the strength of that woman, or that moment. Our art teacher sat in the corner, quietly smiling at the silent, but clear reaction he had caused among the class.

He came up behind me and leaned in conspiratorially.
“Fantastic arse, mind.”

I turned and smiled at him.

“Start again, though lad. You’ve made a right fucking mess of it.”



I hope that this rather long-winded story gives you some idea of how I feel about you my darling.
Even though I have never seen your scars, they really don’t matter to me. I love you as you are.

To me you are perfection xxx