~ Setting things on fire. Mostly words ~

~ Often speaking in tongues ~

~ to Each Other ~


Tuesday 16 April 2013

Coffee Connections



Most mornings I go to a particular coffee shop before I skip into work. I always chat to the ladies in there (you know me). They are just so friendly and happy and always pass the time of day. They even give me free coffee sometimes! One particular lady has been away for a while and today she was back. She looked happier than usual. I asked her where she had been. 'Canada' 'Oh, really', says I. 'Which bit?' 'Alberta'.

My eyes widened. 'Calgary?’ I enquired, my face flushing.' 'Yeah we flew into there and stayed a couple of days. Then we visited Lake Louise.' 'Most beautiful thing I have ever seen.'

I jotted it down on my phone just in case I forgot. 



I realise that asking if you know this place is like me saying, ‘Have you ever seen Tower Bridge?’ – but I’m sure you know it and I’m sure the place means something to you. 

She was absolutely beaming. 'Have you ever been to Canada?' 
'Haha many times' I thought. She was telling me about Banff too. I shook my head and let her continue; shouting over her shoulder as she made my coffee. ‘Best holiday I’ve ever had!’ she hollered. Maybe because she left her kids at home and went with her hubby : ) She told me how cold it was and how much snow there was lying about. Forgetting myself for one moment, I said 'Yes, I know'. 


 It made me think. She'd been inside your city; you probably saw her on your train and you handed her your copy of Metro. You probably sat in the same coffee shop. Your eyes probably accidentally met crossing the street. Sounds implausible, but the way things are going it's probably not.

There are so many interwoven moments between us at the moment my darling. Moments which accidentally connect. It wouldn’t surprise me for one second that any of the above things happened.

‘You’re still making lousy coffee though,’ I said as I left. ‘Didn’t you come back with any Tim’s?’

xxx